MORE EXERCISE 5
TRUNG VUONG HIGH SCHOOL
Teacher : Lê Thị Hồng Quế
Choose the word which has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others:
1. A. cheese B. children
C. chemical D. teacher
2. A. passenger B. dangerous
C. village D. gossip
3. A. generous B. suspicious
C. constancy D. sympathy
/ tʃ /
/ tʃ /
/ k /
/ tʃ /
/ dʒ /
/ dʒ /
Choose the word whose main stress pronounced differently from the others:
Choose the best option of words :
4. The children seem to be totally incapable ________ working by themselves.
A. on B. of C. in D. for
5. Unselfishness is the very essence of friendship.
A. romantic part B. important part
C. difficult part D. interesting part
⇒ (to) Be incapable of + V-ing: không thể
⇒ essence = important part: điều cốt yếu, phần quan trọng
6. It`s kind of Long to pay for us when we go out together. He`s __________.
A. sociable B. understanding C. calm D. generous
7. Minh is a(n) ___________ man. We can believe what he says.
A. patient B. honest C. tolerant D. pleasant
8. They were extremely ________ to my plight.
sympathized B. sympathetic
C. sympathy D. sympathetically
⇒ honest (adj.): trung thực
⇒ Generous (adj): rộng rãi, hào phóng
⇒be + adj.→ sympathetic (adj.): thông cảm
9. “What are Harris’s new friends like?”
A. They like heavy music.
B. We don’t really know what they are like.
C. They are just fantastic, friendly and very polite
D. They are tall and in their twenties.
10. He finds it ________ lasting friendships.
A. difficult to make B. difficulty in making
C. is difficult to make D. difficult making
⇒ What + be +….like?: như thế nào→ hỏi tính cách
⇒ FIND + it + adj. + to V
11. The aim of the culture festival is ________ friendship between the two countries
A. promote B. promoting C. to promote D. being promoted
12. All the passengers were made ________ their seat belts during the turbulence.
A. buckle B. to buckle C. buckling D. for buckling.
13.I think your mother should let you __________ your own mind.
A. make up B. to make up C. making up D. made up
⇒ be + to V : để
⇒let + O + V0: để cho…
⇒ be + V3/ed + to V
14. During a curfew it is not possible walking on the streets after a specified hour. A B C D
15. I’m delighted hearing that you have made much progress in your study.
A B C D
⇒ be + adj + to V
⇒ be + V3/ed + to V
Choose the correct words or phrases that best complete the passage:
I`m sorry for not writing to you for two months. In my postcard sent to you when I was on vacation in July, I told you about a new friend of mine, Lisa Moran, who lives near my uncle`s farm in Napan Valley, California. You may be curious to know what she is (16) ________.
Well, Lisa is of our age - 17 - and not very tall or slim. In fact, she has slightly rounded shoulders and a plump face. The best (17) ______ on Lisa`s face are her green eyes and the two dimples on her checks. She (18) ______ lively with her hair cut short and dressed in (19) ______ clothes - jeans and a T-shirt. When I first met her at my cousin`s birthday party, I was attracted by her easy-going and pleasingly direct manners. Curiously enough, Lisa has the same (20) ______ in music as you and I.
16. A. looking B. like C. seen D. similar
17. A. aspects B. points C. features D. marks
18. A. feels B. seems C. appears D. looks
19. A. casual B. formal C. sports D. trendy
20. A. taste B. hearing C. sense D. way
(to) be like : như thế nào
(a) Feature : nét đặc trưng
(to) look + adj. : trông có vẻ
Casual clothes : quần áo bình thường
Taste (n): sở thích, thị hiếu
Các cấu trúc cần nhớ:
1.(to) Be incapable of + V-ing: không thể
2. essence (n) = important part: điều cốt yếu
4. honest (adj.): trung thực
3. Generous (adj).: rộng rãi, hào phóng
5. be + adj.: sympathetic (adj.): thông cảm
6. What + be +….like?: như thế nào→ hỏi tính cách
7. FIND + it + adj. + to V
8. be + to V : để
10. let + O + V0: để cho…
9.be + V3/ed + to V
-copy all the lesson into your notebooks.
- Learn all the rules by heart.
- Prepare MORE EXERCISE 6.
Thanks for your attention!
nguon VI OLET