Part I: PHONETICS
I. Different sound
1. A. heat B. scream C. meat D. dead
2. A. prepared B. particular C. pagoda D. attract
3. A. thrilling B. other C. through D. something
4. A. idea B. going C. will D. trip
5. A. face B. place C. prepared D. days
6. A. around B. sound C. only D. mouse
7. A. teacher B. other C. together D. term
8. A. Germany B. garden C. gate D. gas
9. A. scholarship B. Christ C. school D. chicken
10. A. house B. harm C. hour D. husband
11. A. sing B. morning C. any D. hang
12. A. hundred B. exhausted C. however D. heat
13. A. head B. ready C. mean D. weather
14. A. choir B. cheap C. child D. chair
15. A. charge B. child C. teacher D. champagne
16. A. reason B. clear C. mean D. each
17. A. motion B. question C. mention D. fiction
18. A. gather B. good C. large D. again
19. A. change B. children C. machine D. church
20. A. hand B. bank C. sand D. band
21. A. cooks B. loves C. joins D. spends
22. A. share B. rare C. are D. declare
23. A. clothes B. cloths C. roofs D. books
24. A. naked B. looked C. booked D. hooked
25. A. laughed B. weighed C. helped D. missed
26. A. apply B. university C. identity D. early
27. A. choice B. achieve C. each D. chemistry
28. A. final B. applicant C. high D. decide
29. A. average B. indicate C. application D. grade
30. A. course B. four C. our D. yours
31. A. worker B. whom C. interview D. answer
32. A. honest B. holiday C. home D. happiness
33. A. character B. teacher C. chemist D. technical
34. A. interview B. minute C. question D. suitable
35 A. explained B. disappointed C. prepared D. interviewed
36. A. economy B. industry C. qualify D. priority
37. A. right B. private C. communist D. minority
38. A. measure B. subsidies C. domestic D. hospital
39. A. though B. encourage C. enough D. country
40. A. improve B. introduce C. move D. lose
41. A. future B. mature C. pasture D. nature
42. A. chore B. technology C. much D. exchange
43. A. threaten B. earth C. healthy D. breathe
44. A. wipe B. allow C. powerful D. answer
45. A. service B. practice C. office D. device
46. A. grasses B. stretches C. comprises D. potatoes
47. A. lie B. wide C. circle D. comprise
48. A. compound B. route C. house D. south
49. A. dune B. hummock C. shrub D. buffalo
50. A. west B. between C. growth D. which
1. A. comprise B. sandy C. circle D. northern
2. A. Aborigines B. expedition C. kilometer D. scientific
3. A. corridor B. enormous C. mystery D. separate
4. A. remain B. hummock C. explore D. between
5. A. territory B. Australia C. geography D. society
6. A. eject B. crossbar C. except D. commit
7. A. canoeing B. opponent C. windsurfing D. defensive
8 A. participant B. publicity C. competitive D. individual
9 A. interfere B. memory C. personal D. vertical
10 A. award B. defeat C. refer D. scuba
11. A. social B. conduct C. survey D. value
12. A. marvelous B. attention C. consider D. excited
13. A. verbal B. whistle C. precede D. marriage
14. A. attract B. decide C. reject D. beauty
15. A. solution B. suitable C. confidence D. family
16. A. conical B. determine C. contractual D. supportive
17. A. physical B. mischievous C. suitable D. romantic
18. A. ancestor B. measurement C. counterpart D. appearance
19. A. commitment B. inflation C. collection D. enterprise
20. A. dissolve B. observe C. publish D. appraise
21. A. technology B. psychology C. reconstruction D. apology
22. A. between B. result C. ago D. coffee
23. A. waving B. teaching C. pointing D. divide
24. A. student B. listen C. blackboard D. between
25. A. traditional B. professional C impossible D. decoration
26. A. economics B. interfere C. philosophy D. punctuality
27. A. secondary B. primary C. fantastic D. national
28. A. education B. curriculum C. technology D. integrity
29. A. because B. method C. standard D. wooden
30. A. ashtray B. music C. severe D. temper
31. A. farewell B. thoughtful C. toward D. approach
32. A. mischievous B. family C. supportive D. suitable
33. A. desert B. parallel C. hummock D. aerial
34. A. measure B. pressure C. unwise D. sacrifice
35. A. attitude B. partnership C. actually D. Vietnamese
36. A. survey B. enormous C. remained D. mystery
37. A. diversity B. marriage C. engagement D. importance
38. A. European B. Victorian C. Brazilian D. Korean
39. A. America B. equal C. maintain D. attractive
40. A. confide B. reject C. precede D. conical
41. A. expedition B. exploration C. Australian D. Geographical
42. A. appropriate B. interesting C. different D. cultural
43. A. culture B. engage C. majority D. determine
44. A. romantic B. counterpart C. discussion D. appearance
45. A. bridegroom B. bamboo C. wedding D. survey
46. A. supernatural B. explanation C. redundancy D. electronic
47. A. gymnastics B. criminal C. investment D. excitement
48. A. financial B. ambitious C. refusal D. evidence
49. A. confess B. function C. jealous D. patient
50. A. possibility B. manufacture C. instrument D. disappointed
Part II: TENSES
1. When I got home I found that water...............................down the kitchen walls
A. ran B. was running C. has run D. had been running
2. After he.......................his English course, he went to England to continue his study
A. has finish B. had finished C. was finished D. would finish
3. How.........................since we .....................college?
A. are you- left B. were you- left C. have you been- have left D. have you been- left
4. I..................much of you lately. We..........................three months ago
A. haven’t seen- last meet B. didn’t see- met C. haven’t seen- have meet D. didn’t see- have met
5. The Chinese.......................spaghetti dishes for a long time before Marco Polo.................back to Italy
A. made- brought B. have made- brought C. made- had brought D. had been making- brought
6. When I arrived at the meeting the first speaker.................speaking and the audience...................
A. just finished- were clapping B. had just finished- had clapped
C. had just finished- were clapping D. just finished- had clapped
7. He.............................his job last month and then he..................out of work
A. lost- was B. was lost- had been C. has lost- was D. lost- has been
8. In the last hundred years, travelling.......................much easier and more comfortable
A. become B. has become C. became D. will became
9. In the 19th century, it.............two or three months to across North America by covered wagon
A. took B. had taken C. had been taken D. was taking
10. In the past, the trip...................very rough and often dangerous, but things..........a great deal in the last hundred and fifty years
A. was- have changed B. is- change C. had been- will change D. has been- changed
11. She................Hanoi last year
A. went B. go C. goes D. is going
12. Now you ..................from New York to Los Angeles in a matter of hours
A. are flying B. would fly C. will fly D. can fly
13. When Carol....................last night, I................my favorite show on television
A. was calling- watched B. called- have watched C. called- was watching D. had called- watched
14. By the time next summer, you....................your studies
A. completes B. will complete C. are completing D. will have completed
15. Right now, Jim.................the newspaper and Kathy...............dinner
A. reads- has cooked B. is reading- is cooking
C. has read- was cooking D. read- will be cooking
16. Last night at this time, they................................the same thing. She.................and he............the newspaper
A. are doing- is cooking- is reading B. were doing- was cooking- was reading
C. was doing- has cooked- is reading D. had done- was cooking- read
17. Sam..............to change a light bulb when he................and.........................
A. was trying-slipped- fell B. tried- was slipping- falling
C. had been trying- slipped- was falling D. has tried- slips- falls
18. Every day I _________up at 6 o’clock, _______breakfast at seven o’clock and_______for work at 8 o’clock
A. get- eat- leave B. have got- eating- leaving C. got- ate- left D. will get- have eaten- left
19. I.......................... for this company for more then thirty years, and I intend to stay here until I..............next year
A. am working- will retire B. am going to work- am retiring
C. work- am going to retire D. have been working- retire
20. My mother is the first.................up and the last......................to bed
A. getting- going B. to get- going C. getting- to go D. to get- to go
21. I must have a bath. I ......................all the afternoon
A. was gardening B. have gardened C. have been gardening D. had been gardening
22. The team.................a single match so far this season
A. doesn’t win B. didn’t win C. hasn’t won D. hadn’t won
23. By the time you receive this letter, I ................for the USA
A. have left B. will leave C. will have left D. am leaving
24. Up to now, the manager ………………..a lot of information about his secretary.
A. learned B. has learned C. had learned D. learns
25. Where is Mary? _ She ……………her homework in her room.
A. is performing B. is making C. is doing D. is learning
26. While I ……………….along the road, I saw a friend of mine.
A. was cycling B. have cycled C. cycled D. am cycling
27. By the time I . . . . . . . . . . this report, I will give you a ring.
A. type B. will type C. have typed D. will have typed
28. While my mother ________ a film on TV, my father was cooking dinner. It was March 8th yesterday.
A. watched B. was watching C. had watched D. watches
29. The plane from Dallas ________ two hours late, so I missed my connecting flight from Frankfurt to London.
A. took on B. took in C. took over D. took off
30. When we came, a party _________ in the hall.
A. is being held B. had being held C. will be held D. was being held
31. He ………….. in the same house since 1975.
A. has lived B. is living C. lived D. had lived
32. When I came to visit her last night, she ________ a bath.
A. is having B. was having C. has D. had
33.When we arrived at the restaurant, the others __________ .
A. left B. have left C. had left D. are leaving
34. By the end of 2010 we_______ in Ho Chi Minh City for 30 years.
A. work B. will work C. have worked D. will have worked
I learned that the college ________ in 1900
A. found B. was founded C. founded D. had been founded
If I ________ 10 years younger, I _________ the job.
A. am/ will take B. were/ would take C. would be/ took D. had been / would take
By the time he _____________ to the meeting, it had begun for 15 minutes.
A. had gone B. has gone C. went D. was going
38. He began to feel ill while ___________________.
A. he is doing the exam B. he did the exam C. he would do the exam D. he was doing the exam.
Since 1980, scientists the world over _____ a lot of things to fight against AIDS.
A. have done B. are doing C. did D. had done
Now my sister _____ a bicycle of her own.
A. is having B. are having C. has D. had
Last week, my professor promised that he _____ today.
A. would come B. will come C. comes D. coming
My girl friend arrived after I _____ for her about half an hour.
A. was waiting B. had been waiting C. have been waiting D. have waited
I _____ in Quang Ngai before I moved to Binh Thuan.
A. have been living B. have lived C. had lived D. had been living
There are many ways _____ to Rome.
A. is leading B. are leading C. leading D. led
45. While I ____________ T.V last night, a mouse ran across the floor.
A. watch B. watched C. am watching D. was watching
46. I still can’t believe it! My bicycle _________ last night.
A. was stolen B. had been stolen C. stole D. was being stolen
While they were ________tables, he was _________ the radio.
A. arranging - listening to B. arranging – hearing C. laying -listening to D. making- hearing
I suddenly remembered that I ........to bring my keys.
A. having forgotten B. have forgotten C. had forgotten D. forgot
By the year 2010 many people currently employed ________their jobs.
A. will have lost B. will be losing C. have lost D. are losing
50.By September next year I_______ here for ten years.
A. will be working B. work C. will have been working D. have been working
Part III: PASSIVE VOICE
1. We can’t go along here because the road........................
A. is repairing B. is repaired C. is being repaired D. repairs
2. The story which I’ve just read...................Agatha Christie
A. was written B. was written by C. was written from D. wrote by
3. I’m going to go out and.................................................
A. have cut my hair B. have my hair cut C. cut my hair D. my hair be cut
4. Something funny ...........................in class yesterday
A. happened B. was happened C. happens D. is happened
5. Many US automobiles........................in Detroit, Michigan
A. manufacture B. have manufactured C. are manufactured D. are manufacturing
6. A lot of pesticide residue can.........................................unwashed produce
A. find B. found C. be finding D. be found
7. We..................by a loud noise during the night
A. woke up B. are woken up C. were woken up D. were waking up
8. Some film stars...................difficult to work with
A. are said be B. are said to be C. say to be D. said to be
9. Why did Tom keep making jokes about me? – I don’t enjoy........................at
A. be laughed B. to be laughed C. laughing D. being laughed
10. Today, many serious childhood diseases...........................by early immunization
A. are preventing B. can prevent C. prevent D. can be prevented
11. Do you get your heating..........................every year?
A. checking B. check C. be checked D. checked
12. Bicycles.......................in the driveway
A. must not leave B. must not be leaving C. must not be left D. must not have left
13. Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony.......................next weekend
A. is going to be performed B. has been performed
D. will be performing D. will have perform
14. All bottles......................................before transportation
A. frozen B. were froze C. were frozen D. are froze
A. Have the letters been typed B. Have been the letters typed
C. Have the letters typed D. Had the letters typed
16. English has become a second language in countries like India, Nigeria or Singapore where.................for administration, broadcasting and education
A. is used B. it is used C. used D. being used
17. The telephones..............by Alexander Graham Bell
A. is invented B. is inventing C. invented D. was invented
18. Lots of houses...................by the earthquake
A. are destroying B. destroyed C. were destroyed D. is destroyed
19. Gold.........................in California in the 19th century
A. was discovered B. has been discovered C. was discover D. they discover
20. The preparation.......................by the time the guest............................
A. had been finished- arrived B. have finished- arrived
C. had finished-were arriving D. have been finished- were arrived
21 The boy_____ by the teacher yesterday.
A. punish B. punished C. punishing D. was punished
22. “Ms Jones, please type those letters before noon”_ “They’ve already ______, sir. They’re on your desk.”
A. typed B. been being typed C. being typed D. been typed
23. Sarah is wearing a blouse. It___________ of cotton.
A. be made B. are made C. is made D. made
24. They had a boy _______ that yesterday.
A. done B. to do C. did D. do
25. We got our mail ______ yesterday.
A. been delivered B. delivered C. delivering D. to deliver
26. James……..the news as soon as possible.
A. should tell B. should be told C. should told D. should be telled
27. My wedding ring ______ yellow and white gold.
A. is made B. is making C. made D. make
Mr. Wilson is _______ as Willie to his friend.
A. known B. knew C. is known D. know
29. References _____ in the examination room.
A. not are used B. is not used C. didn’t used D. are not used
30. Laura ______ in Boston.
A. are born B. were born C. was born D. born
31. His car needs ________.
A. be fixed B. fixing C. to be fixing D. fixed
32. Her watch needs _______.
A. repairing B. to be repaired C. repaired D. A and B
33. My mother is going _____ this house.
A. sold B. sell C. to be sold D. to sell
34. There’s somebody behind us. I think we are _______.
A. being followed B. are followed C. follow D. following
35. Have you _____ by a dog?A. bite B. bit C. ever been bitten D. ever been bit
36. The room is being _____ at the moment.
A. was cleaned B. cleaned C. cleaning D. clean
37. It _____ that the strike will end soon.
A. is expected B. expected C. are expected D. was expected
38. It is _____ that many people are homeless after the floods.
A. was reported B. reports C. reported D. reporting
39. He was said _____ this building.
A. designing B. to have designed C. to design D. designed
40. Ted ______ by a bee while he was sitting in the garden.
A. got sting B. got stung C. get stung D. gets stung
41. These tennis courts don’t _____ very often. Not many people want to play.
A. got used B. used C. get used D. get use
42. I’ll get Minh _____ do this for you.
A. do B. done C. did D. to do
43. Those letters ________ now. You can do the typing later.
A. need typing B. needn't be typed C. need to type D. needn't typing
44. “What a beautiful dress you are wearing”- “thanks, it_____ especially for me by a French tailor.”
A. is made B. has made C. made D. was made
45. Somebody cleans the room every day.
A. The room everyday is cleaned. B. The room is every day cleaned.
C. The room is cleaned every day. D. The room is cleaned by somebody every day.
46. People don’t use this road very often.
A. This road is not used very often. B. Not very often this road is not used.
C. This road very often is not used. D. This road not very often is used.
47. How do people learn languages?
A. How are languages learned? B. How are languages learned by people?
C. How languages are learned? D. Languages are learned how?
48. Over 1500 new houses _______ each year. Last year, 1720 new houses _______.
A. were built/ were built B. are built/ were built
C. are building / were built D. were built/ were being built
49. Tom bought that book yesterday.
A. That book was bought by Tom yesterday. B. That book was bought yesterday by Tom.
C. That book yesterday was bought by Tom D. That book was bought yesterday.
50. The new computer system _____ next month. A. is be installed B. is being installed
C. is been installed D. is being installed by people
Part IV: CONDITIONAL CLAUSE
1. “Would you mind if we ___you by your first name?”
“Not at all. Please call me Tom.”
A. called B. call C. calling D. want to call
2. She can’t get home ___ she has no money.
A. unless B. if C. until D. without
3. If I had known your new address, we ___to see you.
A. came B. will come C. would come D. would have come
4. If we took the 10:30 train, ___.
A. we would arrive too early B. we should arrive too early
C. we will arrive too early D. we may arrive too early
5. It’s very crowded here. I wish there ___ so many people.
A. aren’t B. weren’t C. haven’t been D. isn’t
6. I wouldn’t go there at night if I ___ you.
A. am B. was C. were D. had been
7. If I ___ get a pole, I’ll go fishing.
A. can B. could C. may D. might
8. If they had enough time, they ___ head south.
A. will B. can C. must D. might
9. If you ___ a choice, which country would you visit?
A. have B. had C. have had D. will have
10. Trees won’t grow ___ there is enough water.
A. if B. when C. unless D. as
11. ___ she agreed, you would have done it.
A. If B. Had C. Should D. Would
12. If you ___ to be chosen for the job, you’ll have to be experienced in the field.
A. want B. wanted C. had wanted D. wants
13. If the doctor had arrived sooner, the boy ___.
A. might be saved B. have been saved C. was saved D. might have been saved
14. If there ___, the rice fields could have been more productive.
A. had been enough water B. were enough water C. would be enough water D. are enough water
15. The patient could not recover unless he ___ an operation.
A. had undergone B. would undergo C. underwent D. was undergoing
16. If she ___ him, she would be very happy.
A. would meet B. will meet C. is meeting D. should meet
17. If he ___ a thorough knowledge of English, he could have applied for this post.
A. had had B. had C. has D. has had
18. If I had enough money, I ___ abroad to improve my English.
A. will go B. would go C. should go D. should have to go
19. If it ___ convenient, let’s go out for a drink tonight.
A. be B. is C. was D. were
20. If you ___ time, please write to me.
A. have B. had C. have had D. has
21. If it ___ tomorrow, we may postpone going on a picnic.
A. rains B. will rain C. shall rain D. raining
22. If you hadn’t watched that late mivie last night, you ___ sleepy now.
A. wouldn’t have been B. wouldn’t be C. might have not been D. wouldn’t have been being 23. If you ___ as I told you, you ___ sorry now.
A. did- would not be B. had done- had not been C. do – would not beD. had done – would not be
24. If only I ___ him now. A. see B. saw C. have seen D. seen
25. If I ___, I’ll let you know.
A. am staying B. will stay C. do stay D. would stay
26. If only I ___ you wanted to invest money in business.
A. had known B. knew C. have known D. know
27. Linda wishes she ___her car.
A. hasn’t sold B. hadn’t sold C. doesn’t sell D. won’t sell
28. He looked frightened as if he___a ghost.
A. had seen B. saw C. would see D. was seeing
29. I wish it ___ a holiday today.A. were B. will be C. is D. had been
30. “My car broke down when I was leaving Detroit and I had to take the bus.”
“___, we would have picked you up.”
A. Had we known B. If we have known C. We had known D. If we did know
31. If I ___ as young as you are, I ___ in a boat round the world.
A. were- would sail B. would be – would sail C. were- will sail D. would- would sail
32. If he___tickets yesterday, he ___ on the beach now.
A. had booked- would be lying B. had booked- would have lied
C. booked – would lie D. books- will lie
33. If you ___ less last night, you ___ so bad today.
A. had drunk- would not have felt B. drank- would not feel
C. had drunk- would not feel D. would have drunk- would not feel
34. It seemed as if he ___ of it before.
A. would never hear B. has never heard C. never heard D. had never heard
35. ___ today, she would get home by Friday.
A. Would she leave B. Was she leaving C. Were she to leave D. If she leaves
36. “He’s a very brave man.” “Yes, I wish I ___ his courage.”
A. have B. had C. will have D. would have
37. ___he___ hard last year, he would have lost the first prize.
A. Hadn’t – studied B. Had- studied C. Didn’t study D. If – had studied
38. We’re going to be late if ___.A. we not leave right now B. we didn’t leave right now
C. we won’t leave right now D. we don’t leave right now
39. “I wish this city___ so noisy.” “I know. I wish we ___ in the countryside.”
A. isn’t – live B. wasn’t – live C. weren’t- live D. weren’t – lived
40. He acted as though he___ for days.
A. not eat B. hasn’t eaten C. hadn’t eaten D. didn’t eat
41. We ___ the game if we’d had a few more minutes.
A. might have won B. won C. had won D. will win
42. I ___ William with me if I had known you and he didn’t get along with each other.
A. hadn’t brought B. didn’t bring C. wouldn’t have brought D. won’t bring
43. If you ___ to my advice in the first place, you wouldn’t be in this mess right now.
A. listen B. will listen C. had listened D. listened
44. ___ interested in that subject, I would try to learn more about it.
A. Were I B. Should I C. I was D. If I am
45. I ___ you sooner had someone told me you were in the hospital.
A. would have visited B. visited C. had visited D. visit
46. ___ then what I know today, I would have saved myself a lot of time and trouble over the years.
A. Had I known B. Did I know C. If I know D. If I would know
Part V: REPORTED SPEECH
1. Julia said that she ___________ there at noon.
A. is going to be B. was going to be C. will be D. can be
2. He _______ that he was leaving way that afternoon.
A. told me B. told to me C. said me D. says to me
3. She said to me that she __________ to me the Sunday before.
A. wrote B. has written C. was writing D. had writing
4. I _________ him to sell that old motorbike.
A. said to B. suggested C. advised D. recommended
5. My parents reminded me ________ the flowers.
A. remember to plant B. not to plant to plant C. to plant D. planting
6. I asked Martha ______ to enter law school.
A. are you planning B. is she planning C. was she planning D. if she was planning
7. Nam wanted to know what time ________.
A. does the movie begin B. did the movie begin C. the movie begins D. the movie began
8. I wondered_______ the right thing.
A. whether I was doing B. if I am doing C. was I doing D. am I doing
9. The scientist said the earth ________ the sun.
A. goes around B. is going around C. went around D. was going around
10. Peter said that if he ________rich, he _________ a lot.
A. is – will travel B. were – would travel
C. had been – would have travelled D. was – will travel
11. They said that they had been driving through the desert__________.
A. the previous day B. yesterday C. the last day D. Sunday previously
12. He asked the children _________too much noise.
A. not to make B. not making C. don’t make D. if they don’t make
13. The man said that the days _________longer in summer.
A. will be B. are C. were D. can be
14. The teacher said Columbus _________America in 1942.
A. discovered B. had discovered C. was discovering D. would discover
15. John said he _________ her since they ________ school.
A. hasn’t met – left B. hadn’t met - had left C. hadn’t met – left D. didn’t meet – has left
16. The woman asked __________get lunch at school.
A. can the children B. whether the children could C. if the children can D. could the children
17. Laura said that when she_________ to school, she saw an accident.
A. was walking B. has walked C. had been walking D. has been walking
18. He asked, “Why didn’t she take the final exam?” - He asked why __________ the final exam.
A. she took B. did she take C. she hadn’t taken D. she had taken
19. Ba said he__________ some good marks last semester.
A. gets B. got C. getting D. have got
20. They told their parents that they___________ their best to do the test.
A. try B. will try C. are trying D. would try
21. She asked me where I___________ from.
A. come B. coming C. to come D. came
22. She_________ me whether I liked classical music or not.
A. ask B. asks C. asked D. asking
23. He asked me who____________ the editor of that book.
A. was B. were C. is D. has been
24. He wants to know whether I ___________ back tomorrow.
A. come B. came C. will come D. would come
25. I wonder why he___________ love his family.
A. doesn’t B. don’t C. didn’t D. hasn’t
26. They asked me how many children___________.
A. I had B. had I C. I have D. have I
27. Thu said she had been___________ the day before.
A. here B. there C. in this place D. where
28. The student said that the English test_______ the most difficult.
A. is B. was C. will be D. have been
29. He wanted to know _______ shopping during the previous morning.
A. if we had been going B. that if we had been going C. we were going D. that we were going
30. He asked me _______ Robert and I said I did not know _______.
A. that did I know / who were Robert B. that I knew / who Robert were
C. if I knew / who Robert was D. whether I knew / who was Robert
31. The mother asked her son _______.
A. where he has been B. where he had been C. where has he been D. where had he been
32. Martin asked me _______.
A. how is my father B. how my father is C. how was my father D. how my father was
33. The host asked Peter _______ tea or coffee.
A. whether he preferred B. that he preferred C. did he prefer D. if he prefers
34. She asked me _______ my holidays _______.
A. where I spent / the previous year B. where I had spent / the previous year
C. where I spent / last year D. where did I spend / last year
35. He advised _______ too far.
A. her did not go B. her do not go C. her not to go D. she did not go
36. John often says he _______ boxing because it _______ a cruel sport.
A. does not like / is B. did not like / were C. not liked / had been D. had not liked / was
37. Nancy asked me why I had not gone to New York the summer _______.
A. before B. ago C. last D. previous
38. He asked _______ him some money.
A. her to lend B. she to lend C. she has lent D. she lends
39. Andrew told me that they _______ fish two _______ days.
A. have not eaten / ago B. had not eaten / previous C. did not eat / before D. would not eat / last
40. Jason told me that he _______ his best in the exam the _______ day.
A. had done / following B. will do / previous C. would do / following D. was going / previous
41. John asked me _______ in English.
A. what does this word mean B. what that word means
C. what did this word mean D. what that word meant
42. The mother told her son _______ so impolitely.
A. not behave B. not to behave C. not behaving D. did not behave
43. She said she _______ collect it for me after work.
A. would B. did C. must D. had
44. She said I _______ an angel.
A. am B. was C. were D. have been
45. I have ever told you he _______ unreliable.
A. is B. were C. had been D. would Be
46. I told him _______ the word to Jane somehow that I _______ to reach her during the early hours.
A. passing / will try B. he will pass / tried C. to pass / would be trying D. he passed / have tried
47. Laura said she had worked on the assignment since _______.
A. yesterday B. two days ago C. the day before D. the next day
48. John asked me _______ interested in any kind of sports.
A. if I were B. if were I C. if was I D. if I was
49. John asked me _______ that film the night before.
A. that I saw B. had I seen C. if I had seen D. if had I seen
50. The guest told the host that _______.
A. I must go now B. he must go now C. he had to go now D. he had to go then
Part VI: RELATIVE CLAUSE
1. The man ________ spoke to John is my brother.
A. whom B. who C. whose D. which
2. I must thank the man from _____ I got the present.
A. who B. whom C. that D. which
3. It is a car ______ I bought last year.
A. whom B. who C. which D. whose
4. He is the man _______ son is a doctor
A. whom B. which C. who D. whose
5. I come from a city _______ is located in the southern part of the country.
A. who B. whom C. that D. whose
6. The film about _____ they are talking is fantastic.
A. who B. which C. whom D. that
7. That ’s the woman to _______ Jim used to be married.
A. who B. whom C. which D. that
8. The people ________ for the bus in the rain are getting well
A. waiting B. to wait C. waited D. wait
9. He is the boy _______ is my best friend
A. that B. whom C. who D. A& C
10. I have a message for people __________ by the traffic chaos.
A. to delay B. who delay C. delayed D. who delaying
11. I live in a pleasant room ____________ the garden.
A. to overlook B. overlooking C. overlooked D. which overlooking
12. Melanie was the only person __________ a letter of thanks.
A. wrote B. written C. to write D. writing
13. The pilot was the only man __________ after the crash.
A. was rescued B. rescued C. rescuing D. to be rescued
14. I met a lot of new people at the party ________ names I can’t remember.
A. whose B. which C. who D. whom
15. I talked to a woman __________ car had broken down on the way to the party.
A. which B. who C. whose D. whom
16. Vicky, __________ name was missed off the list, wasn’t very pleased.
A. which B. whose C. who D. whom
17. The picture was painted by Laura, ____________ is being shown in an exhibition.
A. which B. whose C. who D. whom
18. The concert ___________ we are looking forward is next Saturday.
A. which B. that C. whom D. A & B
19. I’ll see you near the post office ___________ we met the other day.
A. which B. where C. when D. why
20. The success of shared holidays depends on __________ you shared it with.
A. whose B. who C. whom D. which
21. The sun, ____ is one of millions of stars in the universe, provides us with heat an light.
A. which B. that C. who D. A & B are correct
22. Tom made a number of suggestions, most of ____ were very helpful.
A. them B. which C. that D. B & C are correct
23. Alaska, __________ my brother lives, is the largest state in the United States.
A. which B. where C. w ho D. All are correct
24. Tell me the reason ____________ you were absent yesterday.
A. where B. when C. why D. that