Name: ........................................ TEST for the first term
Class: 8.... Time: 45 minutes (12. 20)
I. Listen and choose the correct word for each gap. 0.25 x 8 = 2.0
From VOA Learning English, this is the Health Report.
The way we ( 1 )…… is important. In many ( 2 )…… , the two choices are natural gas or electric-powered stoves.
The World Health Organization warns that ( 3 )….. of people are dying every year from ( 4 )…… air pollution.
Indoor air pollution results ( 5 )… the use of dangerous fuels andcook-stoves in the
( 6 )…. . To help fight the problem, the WHO announced new guidelines aimed at ( 7 ) household pollutants.
WHO officials say nearly ( 8 )…. billion people are unable to use clean fuels and technologies for cooking, ( 9 )…. and lighting ( 10 )….
1. A. cook B. drink C. eat
2. A. countries B. nations C. cities
3. A. billions B. millions D. hundreds
4. A. upstairs B. outdoor C. indoor
5. A. to B. between C. from
6. A. home B. building C. cities
7. A. raising B. reducing C. keeping
8. A. five B. seven C. three
9. A. heating B. playing C. traveling
10. A. mining B. lighting C. buying
II / PHONETICS . 0.25 x 8 = 2.0
Choose the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others.
1. a. tiger b. fire c. stripe d. prince
2. a. equipment b. upset c. end d. help
Choose the word whose main stress is placed differently from the others
1. A. favor B. able C. support D. offer
2. A. garden B. enroll C. sidewalk D. drawing
IV. Choose the correct answer. (1,5pt)
1. I haven’t spoken to her……...she went to London
A. when B. while C. since D. for
2. She is wearing a hat……….mine.
A. as B. like C. to D. the same
3. The film was ………than the book.
A. more exciting B. more excited C. the most exciting D. the most excited
4. These boxes…………
A. too heavy for carrying B. too heavy to carry
C. too heavy can’t carry D. Heavier to carry
5. There is a big difference……….British and German schools.
A. between B. from C. with D. of
6. I enjoy _____ to music.
A. listen B. to listen C. listening D. for listening
IV. write the correct form of the verbs in brackets .[ 1p ]
1. The children must (be)....................... back by six o’clock.
2. Columbus (discover).............. America more than 400 years ago.
3. She (have).......................lunch at 11.30 every day.
4. I (live) ....................... in Do Son Commune for 10 years.
VII. Choose the word (a, b, c, or d) that best fits each of the blank spaces. 
Harry starts work (17)______ half past six. He delivers papers every day of the week, from Monday to Saturday, but not (18)_____ Sundays. He works (19)_____ the mornings before school and (20)_____ the afternoons after school. He usually finishes work (21) ______ six o’clock.
Harry says, “(22)______ the summer, the job is OK, but (23) _____ December and January, the weather is very cold! I like this job. I get a lot of
exercise, and the money is good. I’m saving my money in the bank (24)_____the moment for a holiday in Spain.”
1. a. in b. at c. on d. a & b
2. a. in b. at c. on d. between
3. a. in b. at c. on d. Ø
4. a. in b. at c. on d. when
5. a. in b. at c. on d. since
6. a. in b. at c. on d. Ø
7. a. in b. at c. on d. from
8. a. in b. at c. on d. of
VIII.Rewrite these sentences as suggested.
1. Mary can’t play volleyball because she is too short.
2. Lan spends 3 hours a day doing her homework.
It takes Lan___________________________________________________________
3. Mary said to John “ Can you carry my suitcase?”
4. Let’s go shopping.