Choose the letter A, B, C or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. There has been a lot of ____ surrounding the government’s proposed scheme.
A. controversy B. consent C. conformity D. consequence
2. Our town has a real problem with youth crime, ____ do many other British towns.
A. so B. nor C. as D. like
3. Warning: anyone caught stealing from these premises will be _____.
A. advocated B. undermined C. prosecuted D. enforced
4. The local authorities need to _____ down on illegal parking, in my opinion.
A. hit B. force C. move D. crack
5. If the service isn’t up to standard, I think you have _____ right to complain.
A. all B. each C. much D. every
6. Jim’s tough character and certainly won’t let anyone push him ______.
A. up B. off C. around D. through
7. The ______ I don’t understand is why Emily lets her boyfriend get away with it.
A. reason B. object C. item D. thing
8. My uncle pulled a few _____ and got me a job in the company where he works.
A. ropes B. strings C. threads D. chords
9. Although she would have preferred to carry on working, my mum ________ her career in order to have
A. devoted B. repealed C. sacrificed D. abolished
10. I find the offer quite ____, but I think I’d rather study at Oxford.
A. tempting B. desirous C. inclined D. envious
11. I don’t normally like noisy clubs, but I had a sudden _____ to see what the Blue Parrot was like.
A.force B.motive C.pressure D.impulse
12. Jerry loves snowboarding so much that it’s almost like a drug ________.
A. passion B. obsession C. addition D. requirement
13. I don’t want to do the course in applied statistics, but it’s ______.
A. compulsory B. inevitable C. bound D. indecisive
14. Don’t worry about me – I’m quite ______ to sit here and wait for you to come back.
A. ecstatic B. delighted C. joyful D. content
15. When I was pregnant, I often got a sudden _____ for tinned sardines.
A. preference B. craving C. envy D. greed
16. Thank you for thinking of us, but I’m afraid we’re going to have to _____ your kind invitation.
A. decline B. deny C. condemn D. reject
17. I’ve never seen anyone so _____ to their job as Philip is.
A. eager B. keen C. dedicated D. interested
18. Why do you have such a _____ with model railways?
A. desire B. fascination C. love D. preference
19. I wish you would stop wasting so much time on computer games and do something a little more _____.
A. welcome B. enviable C. feasibl D. worthwhile
20.Olivia has always _______ to return to the country she was born in.
A. favoured B. yearned C. urged D. inclined
1.A 3.C 5.D 7.D 9.C 11.D 13.A 15.B 17.C 19.D
2.C 4.D 6.C 8.B 10.A 12.C 14.D 16.A 18.B 20.B
Choose the word or phrase that best fits the space in each sentence.
1. If you have anything important to do, do it straight away. Don`t put it -------------
A. on B. off C. over D. up
2. The plane from Dallas --------- two hours late, so I missed my connecting flight from Frankfurt to London.
A. took off B. took on C. left on D. left out
3. No one liked the new lecturer, so there was a gradual ---------- in the attendance st his lectures.
A. fall-through B. fall-out C. fall-off D. fall-in
4. ----------, Carol is very punctual, but she was late tonight