Unit 1. FAMILY LIFE
Part I. PHONETICS
Exercise 1. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
1. A. chore B. work C. more D. divorce
2. A. trashed B. talked C. reached D. loved
3. A. prepare B. help C. tennis D. tell
4. A. husband B. mum C. contribute D. vulnerable
5. A. cleaned B. shared C. called D. visited
6. A. skill B. split C. children D. finance
7. A. breadwinner B. clean C. each D. lead
8. A. balance B. challenge C. career D. happy
9. A. share B. alike C. tradition D. equal
10. A. generation B. grateful C. educate D. grandparents
Part II. VOCABULARY
Exercise 2. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
11. Linh can’t go out with us to see a movie now because she’s ____ meal.
A. preparing B. making C. arranging D. keeping
12. I’m responsible for cooking dinner as my mother usually works ____.
A. lately B. early C. later D. late
13. I usually ____ my younger sisters when my parents are away on business.
A. pick up B. take care of C. look for D. take charge of
14. Ms. Mai asked me how she could ____ household chores equally in her family.
A. make B. divide C. give D. contribute
15. In my family, my father always takes charge of doing the ____ lifting.
A. strong B. hard C. heavy D. huge
16. My mother told me to do the ____ yesterday but I forgot about it since I had much homework to finish.
A. wash-up B. laundry C. childcare D. exercises
17. ____ the rubbish in the early morning is a part of my daily routine.
A. Taking out B. Coming out C. Pulling out D. Bringing out
18. My wife is going on her business next week so I have to ____ most of the chores around the house.
A. distribute B. hold C. take D. handle
19. Mr. Hoang found it difficult to be in charge of the household ____.
A. financial B. financially C. finances D. financier
20. ____ is a person who works at home and takes care of the house and family.
A. Breadwinner B. Homemaker C. Servant D. Houseman
21. When his wife gave birth to a baby boy, Mr. Nam became the sole ____.
A. housemaid B. housekeeper C. father D. breadwinner
22. My mother and I often go to the supermarket to shop for ____ at weekends.
A. cook B. groceries C. heavy lifting D. the chores
23. After eating dinner, I have to do the ____ and then do my homework every day.
A. washing-up B. wash-up C. washing-ups D. washings-up
24. Her husband is very kind. He always cares ____ her and never puts all of the housework ____ her.
A. about - in B. for - in C. about - on D. with - on
25. To Hoa, her father is the greatest person in the world and he always sets a good ____ for her.
A. role B. behaviour C. example D. action
26. We take ____ in doing the washing-up, cleaning the floor and watering the flowers.
A. turn B. out C. around D. turns
27. Most people will receive ____ benefits when sharing the housework in their family.
A. enormously B. enormity C. enormous D. strong
nguon VI OLET